Youthful skin has abundance of collagen, elastin and hyaluronic acid.
As the years go by, these three components decrease in amount. After the age of 30, our skin loses about 1% of collagen a year. Smoking, unmanaged stress and a sedentary, unhealthy lifestyle can speed up the degradation.
Two important hormones involved in the youth of the skin are oestrogen and testosterone. Oestrogen increases skin thickness, collagen, blood flow and glycoaminoglycans (which hold the skin’s water content). From 30 onwards, oestrogen levels start to drop and we start noticing the first signs of lines and wrinkles, especially around the eyes.
In our 30s, as oestrogen starts to fall, testosterone - the hormone in charge of muscle strength, gclearfixth spurts and confidence become relatively higher. And if we don’t balance our hormones through a healthy lifestyle and appropriate stress management we can get adult acne.
In this decade you may start to notice fine lines around your eyes or even on your forehead. You may also notice your skin becoming more uneven in type and tone, with a mix of dehydration on the cheeks and jawline and oily on the T-zone. The skin tips below aim to help your skin stay looking its best.
1. Don’t skip on exfoliation. Exfoliation helps to remove dead skin cells and encourage new cell formation.
2. Dedicate some "Me Time" each week to take care of your skin with a clay or hydrating mask depending on your skin type. This will give the skin a much-needed boost and it also saves on time if you don’t have time to go to a beauty clinic.
3. It’s time to invest in an anti-ageing skincare range. Your skin will benefit from firming and skin renewing ingredients that anti-ageing skincare ranges have to offer.
4. Use sun protection every day even if it’s cloudy to minimise cell damage and appearance of premature ageing.
5. Use a sleeping mask at night time to benefit the skin’s natural repair process overnight.
6. Start using products that contain hyaluronic acid to ensure a hydration boost to the skin
7. Using oil products in your 30s can help support skin renewal as it nourishes the cells, adding hydration to help keep skin plump and supple. If you tend to have dry, sensitive skin, I would recommend using the oils daily at night. If you work in an office or environment that is very dry, you can also use the oils in the morning.